The Moreland family business
at 6 College Street The Irish Yeast Company established in 1890 by Henry West began as wholesale suppliers and promoters in the use of yeast to the bakery trade.
The Moreland's acquired the business in 1930
John Moreland started working for the company in 1940, and was responsible for the expansion into cake making equipment and accessories and a move also into the retail trade this began a boom time for the shop with customers ranging from the general public to artisan bakers and cake decorators from hotels and restaurant's. over the years with waning trade the shop was a curio in an ever changing Dublin, a step inside was like walking into another era, not only for the vintage interior but the cake decorations for every occasion and all kinds of baking utensils neatly stacked with clear hand printed price tags . John considered closing after the death of his brother in the mid 1990 s but was persuaded by friends to keep the shop running for a few days a week as a pastime. After 75 years service John retired and wound down the yeast company in 2016.
March 1985 The Irish Yeast Company